Thursday, February 5, 2009

Those were the days. . .



My Granny and me. . . me and my Granny. No matter how far away we lived from each other we were extremely close for a grandmother/grand-daughter relationship. Probably even closer than that, she was like a mom to me. Some time ago we were talking on the phone as we did almost every weekend, and she says to me in her sweet granny voice, "Ney. . . you're not only my grand-daughter, you're my best friend." As I sit here and write this, it gets me every time. . . frog in throat and eyes welling up. It's been a year and a half since she past away, but as I prepare to be a mother myself I'm reminded all over again at how her death broke my heart and how much I still miss her. I can't even talk or think about her without shedding a tear. Oh, how I wish that I could've called her myself to tell her I was having a baby, but you know she already knows. My faith tells me that. Even still, as human as I am, I'm selfish and wish that I could've told her to earthly voice that her little lady bug was growing up and going to be a mommy one day. I'm still very lucky that I have a wonderful family and awesome friends that I can count on and share my excitement with. But still. . . nothing would have made me happier to call her on the phone and tell her personally that she was going to be a great-grandmother again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Renee, this is so sweet. How lucky you are to have such wonderful memories of your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that. You are so lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with your Grandmother that has created so many lovely memories. And how proud she must be looking down on her NEY and seeing all that she is accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you and have a slight idea of how you feel. I still have my grandmothers and even one great grandmother living and hate to think of the day when they will pass. I hope that I have the chance to tell them that I will be a mother someday. You're a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for thinking of us and stopping by. Can't wait to read your comments!

xoxox
Renee & Gene